All Chief Financial Officers do not just look at numbers. Optime’s CFO, Linn Bjørhuus Sevre, is just as concerned with the people and their well-being.
The employees play an important role in a technology company like Optime, the people who work here are industry experts that work to change the oil and gas industry with Optime’s leading-edge technology.
A good working environment fosters good job performance which eventually are seen in the company’s financial performance.
Linn has been employed as the CFO of Optime for just under a year. Her husband sees a positive change in his wife Linn, as this position allows her to use knowledge from all her previous jobs and her personal qualities get to emerge. He tells Linn:
Since you started in Optime, you have started to reflect more objectively on matters, which in turn seems to have been given you a more balanced mindset on life in general.Linn’s husband
– At Optime, I use many aspects of my education, work experience, and personal qualities. Compared to previous jobs; I now work closer to the operations and to the people who are responsible for the value creation in the company. This is valuable for me as a person, and for my professional development.
– In my first 11 months in Optime I have gained many new experiences. I have an MSc in Economics and Business and MSc in Accounting, and all my professional experience before Optime has been within finance and auditing.
– In Optime, I have had the pleasure to be responsible for our HR function as well. Preparing a new HR strategy, together with our HR manager, has given me valuable insights into what is important for running a good business. Exploring the HR subject has been a personal development for me – simply a bonus of this position.
The culture at Optime
What do you think impresses Linn the most about Optime? When we ask her, she answers determined – the collective mindset.
It is great to see how everyone at Optime goes the extra mile to achieve common goals and wish success upon each other.Linn
– There is no opposition to new initiatives and changes in Optime. Everyone understands that changes are necessary to achieve growth and the goals we have set for ourselves. Everyone wants the best for the company. You never get a no if you ask for help, or ask for someone to participate. It feels great to be a part of a working environment where everyone wants to contribute.
– I am very impressed by the technology Optime has developed. How the engineers at Optime transforms ideas and drawings into physical objects, almost appears like magic to me. The expertise that lies within this company; how people continuously work to innovate and improve the oil industry is impressive.
Optime’s magic formula
Throughout the conversation with Linn, she talks a lot about HR strategy and the people at Optime. -Why are you so concerned about this when you are employed as the CFO?
– To be an industry leader in our field, everyone in the company must think of improvements and new solutions. The people and the positivity that greets you every day at Optime is amazing.
Nothing is impossible – is Optimes mantra.Linn
As the company grows, it is important to preserve the collective mindset and collaboration across disciplines – this has been Optime’s magic formula.
How to grow without losing our advantage – having a short distance from idea to production?
Openness, trust, and diversity are key factors that are important to maintaining a good Optime culture. Innovation often takes place when people with different perspectives and backgrounds work together. This is where the magic happens – you intensify curiosity and see new opportunities.
We walk the extra mile together
Everyone at Optime is eager to revolutionize the industry. The more familiar you become with Optime, the more you understand and love the company’s slogan: “We Simplify Subsea”.
Structure and processes become important as the company grows. However, diversified teams consisting of people with different backgrounds and qualities will still be the key strength for Optime. At the same time, it is important to utilize everyone’s potential. Where does the individual thrive and perform best?
We must maintain the collective mindset and the desire to succeed – no matter how big our company becomes.Linn
What is good leadership to you?
You said you never had personnel responsibilities, until now. What do you think makes a great leader?
– Being a good role model through integrity and standing up for what you believe in, Linn answers.
– As a leader, you shall aim to get the best out of all employees. Get to know them, make sure that you see their strengths and potentials, and understand what motivates them.
The employees are Optimes most valuable asset – we must take good care of everyone and never take anyone for granted.Linn
Reason, emotions and inner peace
Linn, we have now talked a lot about the culture within Optime, HR, leadership, and the values of the company. We’re curious – who are you?
Linn likes planning, structure, and routines, which are stereotypical characteristics of people with her background. She is of course concerned with having good control over financial development – that is her job.
Even though Linn is a very outgoing and social person, that is probably not always the first impression everyone gets of her. She knows that other people may see her as busy and a little stressed, as she is very focused on delivering on her responsibilities.
Her goal for 2022 is to get to know more of the people at Optime, and to get more out of her office. She is eager to learn more about the subsea industry and Optimes technology. Linn enjoys teamwork and open discussions.
I believe that discussion and teamwork create basis for better decisions.Linn
Linn has a strong need to be ahead of schedule because she hates the feeling of falling behind on her responsibilities, both at work and at home. Luckily, she knows how to lower her shoulders in between deadlines. So how does she find balance and peace in a busy life?
Running, cross-country skiing, family, friends, cabin trips and trips abroad are things that help Linn unwind.
Linn likes to spend her time wisely and prefers to go for a run, rather than spending time on the couch. She might easily get restless and impatient when she feels she is wasting her time.
– My children are getting older and there are more “me-time” again – I need to remind myself that I am a human being and not a human doing – and also allow myself to relax without planning my next task, Linn concludes.
What is her softest side? Family means much to her, she is easily touched and finds it difficult to hold back tears whenever her children make her proud.
Sharing stories is a part of our success. Read more stories here.